- School of Engineering, Information Technology and Physical Sciences – Gippsland/Berwick Campus, work from home conditions apply in line with the University response to COVID-19
- Full-time, fixed-term appointment for 12 months
- Academic Level A, plus 17% superannuation
About the role
Support the delivery of funded research projects, as outlined in the project agreements and contribute to other research activities related to image processing and machine learning.
- contribute to delivering the ARC Discovery project as outlined in the project agreement and plans;
- conduct research in video coding and analytics and produce relevant reports and research outputs in areas of image processing and machine learning;
- develop literature reviews and maintain data and knowledge repositories to support research activities;
- contribute to the preparation, or where appropriate, individual preparation of research proposals to external funding bodies, as required; and
- attend meetings associated with the research project and relevant School meetings.
About the project
The ARC Discovery project will focus on efficient multi-view video coding with cuboids and base anchored models. This project aims to address current deficiencies in multi-view video coding technology to achieve the ultra-compression efficiency demanded by increasing display resolutions and synchronised viewpoints. The project expects to generate new knowledge, by moving from the current pixel-centric approach to methods that concentrate information common to many view-frames. The project is expected to improve compression of audio-visual services that are of great interest to international standards bodies and industry, while facilitating free interaction and augmented reality. This project will provide significant benefits to broadcast, entertainment, surveillance and health industries and position Australia as a world leader in this field.
To be considered for this position, you will have demonstrated:
- completion of, or significant progression toward a doctorate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, or Applied Mathematics with research experience in Video Coding, Image Processing, and Machine Learning;
- experience in developing video coding software and using image processing and machine learning toolboxes;
- experience in preparing and publishing research material including reports, journal and presentations;
- research experience or a demonstrated capacity and preparedness to achieve an active research profile in the field of image processing and machine learning; and
- ability to work collegially as part of a team.
COVID-19 - Federation University has implemented processes to assist all staff and students to operate safely and effectively, with home and campus-based work undertaken where possible. This position is currently a work from home position and may be subject to change as our response to COVID-19 develops.
Please note that applications will be prioritised from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. We warmly welcome applications from international applicants to be considered for future opportunities and all applications will be considered provided they meet the requirements of the role.
Please see the latest updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
How to apply
Please apply by Sunday, 25 October 2020.
Applicants are required to address the Key Selection Criteria, to view the Position Description, please click here: 849812..pdf
If you require these documents, or any other documents on this website in an alternative format please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (03) 5327 9756.
All University positions delivering education and/or services to children must hold a valid Working With Children Check (WWCC). Please refer to the position description for WWCC requirements.
A workplace for remarkable people
At Federation University, we are driven to make a real difference to the lives of every student who walks through our doors, and to the communities we help build and are proud to be part of. We are one of Australia’s oldest universities, known today for our modern approach to teaching and learning. For almost 150 years we have been reaching out to new communities, steadily building a generation of independent thinkers united in the knowledge that they are greater together.
We are committed to attracting, retaining and developing the best talent in the regions in which we operate. From our academic and research staff to those working in student experience, we are all part of a collaborative culture that inspires the highest levels of excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. We are proud of our SAGE Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation in 2019 for recognising our commitment to advancing the careers of women, trans and gender diverse individuals in STEM disciplines in higher education and research.
For more information on a career with us, please visit our website or let our staff tell you more.
At Federation University Australia we value diversity, embrace difference and nurture a connected, safe and respectful community. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people of all cultures, abilities, sex and genders.